I’m headed to Florida in a few days (yay!), and while I was packing I thought it would be fun to share the essentials I pack in my carry-on bag. I went to college a few states away from home, so I traveled in planes a lot. I like to think I’ve perfected the process to make flying as bearable as possible.
Here’s are the essentials to pack in your carry-on:
- Contacts: I always say that if I forget anything on a trip, I can probably buy a replacement at Target. The exception to this rule is contact lenses. Without them I wouldn’t even be able to find a Target. Since I would be (literally) lost without them, I always keep them in my carry-on!
- Empty water bottle: I always bring a water bottle to fill up in the airport so that I don’t have to spend unnecessary money. I also don’t want to have to wait for the airplane water cart to come around and give me a cup that I will just spill all over myself.
- Sandwich: I will never, EVER spend money on airport food. I always bring a sandwich with me and secretly judge people spending $15 on a pre-packaged one from a kiosk.
- Noise-cancelling headphones: Planes are for two things: 1. Intercontinental futuristic travel 2. NapsI always make sure to bring my noise cancelling headphones so I cap nap without disruption.
- Wallet: Money is important, duh.
- License: I note this item separately from my wallet because I always want to be extra sure I have my license so I can make it through security!
- Hand sanitizer: Planes are gross. Airports are grosser. Hand sanitizer keeps me sane.
- Sanitizing wipes: Planes are giant germ shuttles. I am a very normal person who wipes down my plane seat and the tray table in front of me before sitting down. I am sure you all do this as well because it is PERFECTLY NORMAL and NOT WEIRD AT ALL.
- Imodium: My biggest fear is getting diarrhea on a plane. I’ve never actually experienced this, but I always bring anti-diarrhea pill along just in case. Also very normal.
- Other medicine: This is a code name for Xanax, because in the words of Degrassi legend Drake; “I did half a Xan, thirteen hours ’til I land, Had me out like a light .” (but also I just bring my general daily medicine because I don’t want to lose it in a checked bag)
- Snacks: I always bring a snack (or a dozen) in case my flight is delayed or I just get the munchies.
- Lip balm: Planes make my lips super dry, so I always bring lip balm for survival.
- Layers: I’ve burned up in a non-air conditioned plane sitting on a tarmac, and I’ve frozen in a sky-high plane with the AC blasting. I always bring multiple layers so I can take off/add on clothes depending on the temp of the giant sky bird.
- Kindle: There is nothing worse than drifting off to sleep on a plane only to be awoken by someone turning on the overhead light to read a book. Don’t be this person. Bring a kindle.
- Phone charger: I will charge my phone WHEREVER I see an outlet in the airport. I have been delayed while sitting on the tarmac too many times to risk entering a plane with anything less than 90% charge!
What essentials do you pack in your carry on? Let me know in the comments!